I was just thinking aloud today about what people look for in any movie ? We obviously all don’t look for the same things. So, what moves us, what takes us to tears? Does what we expect from a movie change with different languages ? Is what we expect from a French film different from an English movie ? What are you ready to overlook ? What makes any movie, a great movie.
I jotted down a few things that I look forward to in a movie. There must some formula a director follows to ensure that his movie succeeds, like a checklist.(like a code developer’s checklist – that’s the geek in me talking). Here, they are :
1. A decent storyline. The plot needs to have some sort of direction.
2. The characters should be well etched out. Or at least have personality.
3. I rate acting after characters because if the role you are playing is muddled, nothing can really save you. People will simply not identify with the said characters. But the flip side is, that the audience throngs the theatre if some or all the cast is famous. It works well for marketing. Dhobi Ghat, also known as Mumbai diaries(Hindi) is one such example. Aamir Khan‘s presence drew the audience and once there the film did a fine job of drawing one into its intricacies.
4. However subtle, humour is an onus in any film. Cheesy and recycled jokes are not funny.
5. If it’s thought-provoking, all the more better. Sometimes, a movie that puts forth a message strikes a chord with its audience. Life is Beautiful (Italian) was a fantastic film in that respect.
Sometimes, even a bad storyline with a good message makes one have a feel-good factor about it. So, people tend to forgive some if not all the jarring mess some movies are.
6. Dialogues make a movie so much more memorable. When I watched “When Harry met Sally“, apart from the strong characters and the actors who played them, the movie was memorable for its dialogues . Click here to see them.
7. A beautiful picturesque scene in a film certainly stays with you long after you watch it. It’s what makes a good movie better. The Lord of the Rings has such beautiful scenic locations that it made New Zealand the new tourist destination that everyone wanted to visit.
8. A carefully edited film ensures that the viewer’s attention is held through its length unlike a film with choppy editing. Jodha Akbar (Hindi) is a lovely film that is badly in need of some editing.
So what do you look for in a movie ?
Food for thought:I was looking for movie posters and found this –>http://inspiredology.com/minimalist-movie-posters/ .Let me know if you can figure out why each symbol is as it is.
- Director gives Mumbai fresh face in film “Dhobi Ghat” (reuters.com)