Going from Mumbai to Pune was something I did very often. My family stayed there. I had to get up real early to get there.I got ready, packed my bags and went to the bus stop. I waited for the bus to come at its normal time of 5:40 am. Imagine the unearthly hour I needed to get up at. I did it anyway because in the end, I could visit my family and get my beauty sleep for 2 straight days and then… Ugh ! I didn’t want to think about “then”. The week would start again and so would work. Sometimes, I hated it and sometimes I loved it. This was one of those times I was not looking forward to the work week.
I was waiting at the bus stop alone and it was still dark out. Dark because it was winter and the sun did not rise till late. Did I mention I was cold too ? It was way too early, wasn’t it? I was cranky alright. Man! I needed a caffeine kick. I waited 12-15 minutes before I started panicking about missing my train. It was a long way to the station. I started to look out for autos. Once I saw one, I waved to catch his attention but he ignored me. After that, I just stood there for a while. Continue reading →
Is it Black Friday already ? Lately, I get Black Friday stampede dreams and the one being crushed is me. So it got me thinking. Is the sale really worth all the trouble we go through for it ? But then again, I am one of the naysayers.
For the inexperienced, it is the biggest shopping season of the entire year. Many people camp out the entire night to get the doorbuster(read “bone buster”) sales that starts at 4am when the stores open on the Friday after Thanksgiving. During this time, the prices of a number of products are slashed for the public. But the effort it takes and the large crowds that gather for this sale does not seem like it is really necessary to do this. And here’s why.
1. The prices of products are reduced drastically to attract customers into the store. But these products are in limited number. If you do not get to them first, they are gone.
2. The second question you need to ask yourself is whether you really need what is on offer. Most products that have lowered rates are electronic goods. We don’t really need these goods, do we. Most of us give in to the craziness of the season and see other people do the big Friday shopping and follow suit. Stop and think.
3. Doing the Black Friday roundup requires a few weeks of effort to check and cross check prices and items on sale. Why not be lazy and forget all about it ?
3. According to experts(on various websites), the sale prices of most goods(not in the doorbuster category) are still the same the rest of the Christmas season. If you feel the necessity to buy them, you could buy them later in the season too. The trick that stores follow is to make you believe that everything is dirt cheap and make you spend on non-essentials. Also, this season, many stores are opening sooner in the hopes of getting the most customers.
4. If you are really big on the shopping thing, then you always have the option of going for Cyber Monday. Some stores like CVS and Amazon are also offering online deals on black Friday. It helps make a more informed decision.
5. The cold season could get the better of you and make you sick. Ah, that didn’t stop anyone before, has it ?
If you are still thinking of going ahead with the Black Friday sale, make a list of things you want and go after that. Try not to deviate from your list and carry water and energy drinks. This reminds me of the target black Friday advert.
This post is meant for the movie buff in you. If you are one of those people who loves movies, here’s some, no, a lot of movie trivia for you. Try to find the movie from the objects given here. Famous Objects from Movies. There are a lot of movies on there.It will take you a while. Let me know how you scored. I din’t score that well 😦 Continue reading →
Let me tell you in advance that I love wordpress and all its themes. WordPress also has a steady fan following who after trying WordPress.com for a while move to the self-hosted WordPress.org. The best feature perhaps is the uncluttered look which makes a reader look at the content rather than the many ads that are usually displayed on the blog. Continue reading →
Mango season is here again and I am beginning to realize how much I took that beautiful fruit for granted back home. Just looking at the raw mango, I was dreaming of the delish chutney I can make with it. The word chutney originated in India and can be made with just about any vegetable(including lots of greens), some fruits,lentils and a number of seeds like mustard, flax , fenugreek. In South India, chutneys usually include coconut,toasted Chana dal(huri kadla), tamarind, jaggery, asafoetida, salt, and green chillies. Continue reading →